Disciplinary Committee of Students
According to the “University of Macau Regulations Governing Residential Colleges (Effective August 2014, Page 12)”, each College required to establish a disciplinary committee to assist and advise the College Master to take disciplinary action if students violated any disciplinary regulations in the College as stated in Article 1.2 of “Student Disciplinary Regulations of the University of Macau”.
In accordance with the Regulation, Disciplinary Committee of Students (DCS) was established in 2017 and approved by both the MLC House Association and the College. The DCS’s responsibility is to deal with student discipline problems and related issues. To promote student self-governance, MLC added more students and reduced the portion of academic staff in its DCS. As a result, the DCS at MLC consists of nine representatives, including three MLC students, one Resident Tutor, two members of the House Association, two Resident Assistants and one academic staff from the College. The term of the service on the committee shall be one academic year.
- Accept complaints from MLC students and the College.
- Investigate and collect evidence according to the College protocol.
- Conduct disciplinary hearing and case discussion.
- Determine if a complaint has merit and give a recommended resolution to the College Master.
Disciplinary Point System
Under the Disciplinary Point System, points will be deducted from the students and the points will be adjusted to zero at the start of each academic year. The DCS accepts complaints from students or staff of the College, investigates cases, collects evidence, and makes decisions on complaints when completing the disciplinary proceedings. If the DCS finds that a complaint is legitimate, penalty points will be assigned to the captioned student according to the Disciplinary Point System (MLC Freshmen Handbook AY2018/2019 Table 1. Page 28-29) and a recommendation resolution will be submitted to the College Master for final decision
Points could be used by the College as one of the selective criteria and references in appointing student leaders, awarding scholarships, and/or allocating rooms for upper class students.
- 3 points, student will receive a written warning and/or copy to the Dean of Students for record.
- 5 points, the resident’s parent(s) or guardian will notify of the infraction(s). The resident will place on a status of disciplinary probation under the care of the Associate Master of MLC.
- 10 or more points, resident will determine by the College Master of MLC.
Committee Members in AY2017/18
Chairman: Mr. Weng Wa HO
Secretary: Miss Tong-Xin XIANG
Executive: Miss Chen-Ge LYU, Miss Ya-Ting TANG, Miss Jun-Yi YAO, Mr Chi Kit CHEONG, Mr. Lai Meng KUOK, Mr. Rui-Dong HOU
Advisor: Dr. M.F. CHAN